Old Steamers
I was running my Big Boy the other day, and it was running badly. It got to the point where it would only move forward about a foot, then reverse a foot. I thought maybe the motor was stuck, so I took it apart, but the motor was fine--the front set of drivers was grinding badly. The gears looked bad, but rather than try to change the gearbox, I took a front driver assembly off this junked one:

[Image: file.php?id=33667]

Installed:

Whoever had it, though, painted the driver tires and rods white, and the drivers black, and they laid it on thick. I'd like to remove it, but alcohol doesn't seem to touch it. would Lacquer thinner work if it's enamel?

My cat likes to sit in my lap while I work, but few days ago I found her on the layout and shooed her off. She left some cat hair behind that I cleaned up (or so I thought), but I ran my Big Boy and it got stuck again. "I just fixed this," I thought, "how can it be jammed again?" Then I saw the cat hair wrapped around the cranks.... Eek half hour with the exacto and it's running smooth again...

Messages In This Thread