Deleteing your own posts?
toptrain Wrote:If a spamer deleats his own thread. You have accomplished the same thing as if you have deleated it. Sonner on later you will catch him and dump him. If you program has a problum handling deleations, that sounds like your problum. When someome posts something they do feal it is theirs, not the sites. And if they want ,they have to be able to remove it. I don't see any one messing with peoples blogs. Basicly these threads are peolpes blogs. They are opening up here and giving information and personal opinions. They have a right to edit or deleat without asking for permission. Your rules almost make you as bad as the spamers. In a way stealing !
frank
Well Frank, we are bound by the constraints of the forum software, and it appears that two most popular software programs don't act too kindly to mass deletions. Whether it actually is the case or not, most forums don't want threads deleted. And yes, I used to delete threads on the old forum, but I gritted my teeth every time I did. To be sure, when CG took over Zealot, they made sure that even the mods couldn't delete posts, so we had to move them into a protected area.

Secondly, forum sites belong to whoever is paying the bills and these are the folks that set the rules. When someone posts there, the content of those posts now belong to the forum. it's no different than if you submit something to a magazine or newspaper and they print it. That article becomes their property and they have the right to edit it if they so choose. We also reserve the right to edit or delete posts that do not fit into our family-oriented forum style. This is a rarity, and it's usually only spam that needs to get dealt with. If anyone wants to have their post or thread deleted or moved, any mod here would be more than willing to accommodate their request, but we need to know what's going on before that happens.

It's hardly fair to compare us to spammers, we are simply providing a venue that modelers can use as they chose to post their comments, experiences or opinions. There needs to be someone though, that controls what goes on, hence the rules. Our rules are a lot simpler than those of a lot of other forums, yet there are those that have few rules and allow their members to do just about as they please. But then their goals are much different than ours, so that's why we keep a close watch on what's going on. So I hope you understand that those who post here are willing to live by the few rules we do have while they're here.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

Messages In This Thread