Charlie b's layout
Here is a little more information on the Aerotrain project. It starts with an unpowered Bowser (Varney) set consisting of the locomotive and 3 cars (one is the end observation car.
I have the trainman that is a perfect donor. I got this quite a few years ago on sale for $9.99 I believe and it would have been a donor for something later or later still because there is no place in my time period for a Burlington Northern GP9M         I had to do a little fileing on the rear corners, as well as the two pins by the fuel tanks.         
I may have to file the slot in the rear of the locomotive another 64th or so to allow the shell to drop a tad more for the shell to better align with the first car. I had to cut the couple pocket off and move it back 3/8 of an inch so the gap is more realistic, The height is right on.  The powered frame fits perfectly.      , and the wheel base is so close that it works fine.  Other repowers I read about they removed the front axle and wheel from the rear truck. It isn't noticeable so I think I will leave it complete.    
Next step is the lighting and the decoder. I don't think I will add sound because I will just figure these were supposed to be quiet
Charlie

Messages In This Thread