UP SD40-2's NEW Layout
Thanks so much Tom, David, Ed & tetters! , you guys are to kind Icon_e_biggrin . 

**************************************************************************************************
Well, I have off this week so I have a mid week update  Misngth  .

I was looking over the layout pondering what to do next, and seen my poor SD40-2's in need of several repairs. As you guys know, SD40-2's are my all time favorite engines, I have 5 of them that are UP(including a patched CNW) , 3 WSOR, and lets not forget the 4 SD40T-2's, but those are another story Misngth . Two of them need very little work, #3401 just needs a sunshade put on it, this engine is a Kato DCC with sound, runs Fantastic and has a nice real life story to it. UP #3401 was a CNW repainted in UP's North Little Rocks shop on Oct. 25 1996, it was one of 266 units that had the "We will deliver" slogan on it. 
The other engine, #3288, is an Athearn and just needs the horn and rear railing straightened out, fairly easy fix. 
Those engines are weathered and are DONE after the easy fixes.
[Image: 6VtFlch.jpg]

The next two engines are not weathered, and were in worse shape, many broken and missing parts on them, both are Athearns.
Engine #3503 was in the worst shape of all of them, the cab was sucked in a bit making a bad fit to the rest of the body, so thats the one I started on first. I took it apart and decided to put a thick sturdy piece of styrene in the cab putting it back to the width it once was at, WOW, that totally did the trick, the parts fit back up great. I took all the railings off the engine before the fix, as I admired the fit up I had the idea to make that engine a little more modern since the railings were off. Around 2005 the UP started putting yellow reflective tape on the bottoms of all their rebuilt/repainted engines, the yellow tape I used for the center lines of my roads is the exact perfect size to use for the reflective tape. Here is an example of a rebuilt and repainted engine I took a pic of in South Beloit around 2005...
[Image: tvDQSaV.jpg]

My layout is loosely based on the years 1982-2015(I say till today usually though Misngth  ) , yes, its a long time span, but thats what it is so the modern reflective tape will work, THUS, my engines #3503 & 3344 will now be NEW...REBUILT UP engines! I have several new railings to make the repairs needed, really I have ALL the detail parts needed to fix them up. HONESTLY, #3503 is probably a lie, I have no proof that UP rebuilt any snoot nose engines, but they are my favorite of all the SD40-2's so I am going to do it anyways. Note, 3 of 5 of those SD40-2's are snoot nose, long front hood.

Heres a pic with the new reflective tape on #3503 and #3344 before I put the tape on it.... 
[Image: bBiwUNP.jpg]  

#3134 needs new couplers, one sunshade and some railings repaired....
[Image: 3hWzuug.jpg]

Thats where I am at at this time tonight with the SD40-2's, I am very excited to get them back into shape.

As a side note, NOT related to the SD40-2's, but going back to the "We will deliver" slogan, I do have another engine that really exsited with that slogan, its an SD50, and it too was a CNW engine repainted on 11 Nov. 1996 in North Little Rock. This engine is a Proto 2000 DCC with sound, runs great!
[Image: PjepZio.jpg]

Till next time...
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]

Messages In This Thread