USRA 0-6-0?
An 0-X-0 ( 0-4-0,0-6-0,0-8-0, and I believe there was an 0-10-0,are usually classified as switchers), tends to be (with a couple of exceptions) a light weight loco. Partly because they were designed for yard service, to move limited numbers of cars, with ready access to fuel and water. a 2-6-2, as opposed to an 0-6-0, could have a heavier boiler and firebox, because the pilot and trailing wheels could bear the additional weight, and also guide the loco into curves.
The 2-10-0 "Decapod" at the Illinois Railway Museum, has to back around some tight curves, and the flanges of the rear drivers wear more rapidly because there's no trailing truck to guide the "wheelbase", and the rear driver flanges take all the abuse.
With sufficient water stops, and short trains, an 0-6-0 could be a shortline's "freight engine", but that would normally be an exception to the rule.
In any case, economics rule. An 0-X-0 would be economically inefficient for "mainline" service, and not normally used that way.

( Yes, my first loco was an 0-4-0, and yes, I did use it for "mainline service"........until I got a bit further up the learning curve Wink )
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread