Minimum radius for a Bachmann 4-8-4?
I do believe that EZ track comes in both 18" and 22" radius curves.

I have a standard B-man 4-8-4 as well as a Spectrum 4-8-4. The standard 4-8-4 does run on 18" radius curves. It looks less than stellar, but my little boy doesn't care as its still a train. I can't recall if I've tried the Spectrum 4-8-4 or not...but it has no problem with 22" curves.

I would assume that we are talking about a B-man standard (marketed as Bachmann...rather than packaged in a black box with gold lettering that says "Spectrum"). If so, 18" curves will work with it...and so it is up to you to decide if you mind the overhang or not. I would recommend 22" curves or wider. I also think that EZ-track is to be avoided unless your are building temporary floor layouts. My son's EZ-track drives me nuts with corrosion/dirt on the steel rail.

Note:
track comes in different rail sizes as well as either "sectional" or "flex". Sectional track is preformed into straight or curved track...while flex is shaped by the modeler. Code 100 sectional track commonly comes in 18" and 22" R curves. EZ-track is Code 100. Code 83 sectional track comes in 18" (?) and 24" radius curves. Many or most modelers will tell you that 18" is a bit too tight. Most modelers will tell you that smaller rail looks better than large rail...with the greatest improvement in switching from enormous Code 100 or Code 83 (which is still quite large)...but there are a number of fine modelers whom have no problem with Code 100 track.

EDIT: as for the smoke, I think it is safe to say that many of us on here would discourage the use of any "smoke fluid". It is notorious for making your track dirty and not looking remotely similar to real locomotive smoke. Therefore, I am ignorant as to a replacement.
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread