Hobby Shops in Tough Times
Will said:No wonder LHS are closing all over the USA. They cannot compete with etailers who have zero overhead and only want to make 7% per item.
----------------------------
Perhaps in some cases..All 3 of my on line dealers has store fronts and been around for years as mail order shop(remember those?) In fact if you care to check you will find the majority of the e-tailers has brick and mortar shops.

Now the days of the basement dealer is slowly counting down as wholesalers are requiring store fronts.Even Walthers has climb on board.Not to mention you need a ton of money to get started and maintain a monthly inventory...Lack of stock can kill the basement dealer as fast as a hobby shop.So,a "basement dealer" has overhead..

Will,Your cry of "no overhead" is a well sung song.I have heard it for many years starting with the mail order shops,then train show dealers and now its sung due to the e-shops..

Of course we read on forums that "Charlies Hobby closed" but,if you notice there is seldom any concrete information such as:

Did "Charlie" retire?

Was it due to health reasons?

Was it due to his full MSRP and lack of new stock?

Will,I am sorry but,you should know some times the shop's owner is his worst enemy or as I like to say "LHS killed by owner."

Sadly its only going to become worst in the coming years due to the ever increasing price of the hobby and the ever increasing cost of living..

Those shops that utilizes the Internet and maintains a solid local customer base will survive...Those that clings to the old ways will fail.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!

Messages In This Thread