Hobby Shops in Tough Times
Fifer Wrote:I think you would find that all of the e-tailers (like Robin and I) would like to have the same type of shop that all of us remember, where you go in and get information , have a soda sit and chat, watch a related video, browse , but the fact is unless the retaler charges the prices they do they simply can no longer provide those frills , if you will. The cost of space , insurance , employee's , utilities and such has almost made the small "homie" type shop extinct. The large shops in large areas can still draw enough people to make it if they also do e-tail.
I think that almost all of us remember the small shop that had the owner living in the back and the heater or air conditioner was always on and you could buy a model car kit for $2.95. The net has put an end to that life style.
We had a retail shop and it is no easy task. We do however try to replicate that in our e-tail shop as best we can , but you'll have to have your own soda handy!
Thanks all you guys and gals, Mike

Mike,The last nearby shop where the faithful gathered every Saturday morning closed its doors due to the owner retiring after 40 years in the business.He was 72 when he decided to retire...Lewis always like to say I started this shop a young man full of vinegar and pee..Now I am old and tired.

The coffee was always fresh as was the donuts..He kept that tradition going up to his retirement.

I know I spent more then my fair share there.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!

Messages In This Thread