Caboose usage
Well, I'll attempt a start on this one. Once upon a time, ...NO, wrong theme! Prior to the crew reductions (from a 5 or 6 man crew) allowed by the proliferation of PORTABLE radios, the caboose carried part of the crew, and the MARKER (without which a train is not a "Train") ! It also allowed observation of the rear portion of the train for trouble (smoke, dust, lading on the ROW, etc.) and the continuity and function of the AIR line and brakes. Train length wasn't a consideration. To eliminate the cabin/waycar/caboose/hack, a reliable, continuously verifiable means of displaying a MARKER (to show that the train had ALL it's cars), to warn following trains, and to be able to monitor the air pressure at the rear end. The telemetry marker with long lasting (?) batteries, and a radio relay of marker light function and air pressure (including EMERGENCY action), allowed the removal of the shack-on-wheels. Some cabins are still used for specific jobs where safety or efficiency dictates, (riding a shoving move for long distances, lots of bi-directional moves, etc.) as determined by the railroad. I'm sure that's not all, but I'm out for now. Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."

Messages In This Thread