UP Elmwood Subdivision - N Scale Layout
4/15/2009

Since my last post, I've been toying with the idea of replacing the Atlas flex track on the lower level with ME Concrete tie code 55 Flex. I ordered two pieces of ME track to get a up close look at at.

Today I got my two sample pieces of Micro Engineering track and instantly had this wow moment. This is some great looking track. I love the fact that it's so shape-able too and not springy like Atlas flex track. You can bend this track into whatever curve you want and it stays.

I decided to try out a piece on the layout. I picked the small curve on the layout just before the tunnel as my test spot. Removing the existing track was a piece of cake thanks to the caulk adhesive. I cut the ME track to size, formed the curve I needed and installed the track in place with some rail joiners. Works perfectly without any adhesive holding the curve. I love it!

[Image: IMG_1945.jpg] [Image: IMG_1946.jpg] [Image: IMG_1948.jpg]

So I think I'm going to ahead with the plan to replace the existing mainline track with some ME weathered concrete track. I haven't decided if I want to replace the siding with concrete ties as well or leave those as wood ties (and just leave the Atlas in place).

Also, since the ME ties are a little thicker than the Atlas', I'll have to sand the cork roadbed a little bit around the turnouts so the rails meet each other at the same height. I really want to avoid having to pull up any turnout.

In other news, I picked up a black BLMA brass truss bridge off ebay. I'll be replacing the two deck bridges over Dixie river with this single bridge.

Messages In This Thread