Question concerning Sergents couplers
nachoman Wrote:Couplers are one area where I will gladly trade functionality for appearance....

Just as in using Kadee couplers extensively in operations, to use Sergent couplers operationally requires some attention in the layout design phase. The 2 primary differences between Kadee and Sergent couplers operationally is that 1) Sergent couplers do not couple automatically, and 2) Sergent couplers cannot be uncoupled with magnets or electromagnets mounted in or under the track. The implications of these differences are that you must have easy reach-in access with the wand to every place you want to couple or uncouple. The Sergent couplers may have to be aligned or have a knuckle opened to couple. And wand access is required to open a knuckle to uncouple. Due to lack of a centering spring, Sergent couplers can be coupled and uncoupled on sharper curves than is possible with the Kadees.

I prefer not to reach into the layout with the "hand of God" for normal layout operations. Hence, I trade the appearance of Sergents for the ability to perform remote coupling and uncoupling of Kadees.

my thoughts, your choices
Fred Wright

Messages In This Thread