Question concerning Sergents couplers
I have done switching operations on modular set ups with Kaddees, some modules had under track magnets, other modules did not and required some sort of pick to uncouple or lifting one car off the tracks to clear the Kaddees from each other. I did not like magnetic uncoupling. It might be okay with electro magnets or a moveable magnet that would be brought into position only when I wanted to uncouple. I found that with the hidden Kaddees, the slightest hesitation of a train going over the magnet caused unwanted disconnects. In fact the member that had put in the magnet on his module got so fed up with the magnet, that he ripped up the track, removed the magnet, and replaced the track to get rid of the magnet. I'm still not sure what to do about passenger cars. Kaddees are just about impossible to uncouple with diaphragms, especially if the trip pin is still in place. It might work to design a hidden track behind the backdrop where a magnet could be slipped into place for uncoupling, or remove to take the train out onto the main line.

Messages In This Thread