Fiddle Yards?
David brings up a VERY good point. If you can fiddle the cars with the "0-5-0" then you can be as minimalist with track as you like. If you aren't planning on touching the cars (for detail reasons, oil & dirt on the hands getting all over that nice paint job, etc.) then the yard should be set up for automatic switching with uncoupling ramps or magnets, room for the engine to pull cars (a switch lead) and so forth. Will passenger trains be turned or backed in to the sidings? Will they back out if running the other direction around the layout?

These are issues I've been considering for my own Timesaver layout. I have 3' of extension room I can use and have considered possibilities from as simple as a stretch of track on a plank to a fully scenicked continuation of the current layout complete with engine house for the switch engine that works the landing and passenger station for the combine that comes with mixed trains, etc. Either way, I'd have some arrangement for storing rolling stock that is rotated on and off the layout. This is one thing I've noticed about switching layouts. After a while the primary interest (for me at least) becomes the variety of equipment.

On the West Ivy layout, it's basically one scene with a passing track that can hold a second train for variety. I thought about working a staging arrangement in a tunnel for swapping cars on and off the layout, but decided against that.

Glad to hear it's coming along and you're having fun with it. Share some pictures, please, whenever you can.

Galen.
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread