Code 55 Rail Joiners on Code 80
I made a transition track piece tonight allowing me to go from Code 80 down to Code 55, and using the Code 55 rail joiners.

It was easy...all I did was snip away enough of the Code 80 track to match the 55 height, then file the edges and inside of the rails smooth. Using the Code 55 joiners, the two tracks fit together well and conducted electricity without problems. I will probably go back and re-file down the grade change so the transition from 80 to 55 is more gradual. But my three "problem" cars went over the transition area without problems...so a gentler grade change should only make it better and nicer to view.

Overall, I can see why so many people like the Code 55 track. It looks great, lower profile than the Code 80 and works fine. (But I've got a whole layout done in Code 80 so I doubt I'll be switching the track over to 55 anytime soon.) I used the "test" piece of flex track as a spur off a passing track that leads behind a factory. Since it is lower than the Code 80, it already gives the appearance of being "on grade" with the ground and infrequently used...which is the point of that spur anyway.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Messages In This Thread