CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale
tetters Wrote:
Russ Bellinis Wrote:If you want to be able to take it up sometime to move to a different layout or location, I would use something like Elmer's white glue that is water soluble. If you use silicone, construction adhesive, or other permanent type of adhesive, you might destroy the switches by trying to remove them.

White glue had crossed my mind. How does the white glue hold up to ballasting though? I am concerned that when I ballast, the water/glue solution might loosen the bond between the track and the roadbed.

Actually, a thought just occured to me. Does it sound ridiculous, if say, I just cut out the entire chunk? Track, roadbed, and ply and remove it all as one piece? If usable on a future layout, say many years down the road, I can then install it a la open grid benchwork? I know it seems kinda silly to be thinking about this when I'm in the process of rebuilding.

The trick is to pin the rail in place, glue it down with white glue and then go ahead an ballast before you remove the pins. Just be careful about getting ballast or glue into the points.

Messages In This Thread