Wahl Clipper Oil for Track: The Verdict 2 Years on?
I think that the fact that the layout room is mostly finished and used only for the layout is the biggest "secret", and, although there is a lot of non-layout stuff stored beneath the benchwork, it's seldom necessary to get at it. Room preparation included insulating and drywalling all walls, and installation of a suspended ceiling and all lighting before any tracklaying had begun. The room is in the basement, and although the floor is unfinished, I never sweep it, preferring to vacuum when cleaning is required. It also helps that there is a door on the room, and no windows or heating/cooling outlets to allow infiltration of dust. I occasionally vaccum the layout itself, too, using the brush attachment on my shop vac - of course, trains, vehicles and almost all of the details that are not scenery need to be removed.

I do have to clean track after painting the rails (usually only a one-time job, though, and it involves only a quick wipe with a dry rag) Wink , and, when applying scenery near the track, the "wet" water spray seems to discolour the rail tops. Since I usually apply ballast and trackside scenery at the same time, that makes for another one-time cleaning operation. Goldth
I should note that the layout room door is usually open, as there is a dehumidifier running nearby - this seems to eliminate the usual "basement" odour and a fair amount of traffic in and out of the basement for other purposes keeps the air from getting stale.
One other thing: while beverages are permitted in the layout room (Rule G is not in force Cheers ), no smoking and no food of any kind is allowed and operators' hands (usually just mine) Wink Misngth must be clean, as staging involves physically adding or removing cars to- and from the layout.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread