Cleaning your models?
I find that a soft 3/4" or 1" brush does a good job of removing dust, but not in the layout room. Eek
Most of my trains get handled fairly regularly, as freight cars get cycled on and off the layout (interchange), but I'm usually the one doing the handling, so no excuse not to have clean hands. Locomotives are handled less, but they still need occasional servicing. While I seldom have problems with details breaking off, paint on metal grabirons can easily chip, even when the car is stored in its box. Every so often, I gather up the ones needing touch-up, using paint that's close to the original, but not necessarily an exact match.

If your models are sticky (from little fingers or larger (and ruder) Shoot ones), a wipe with a damp cloth may help or even with a little dish detergent added. If it's really bad, disassemble it as necessary, then wash it in the sink using dish detergent in warm water (unless, of course, it's a wooden model). Let it air dry, then put everything back together.

I've also used my shop vac with the soft brush attachment to remove dust from car roofs, buildings, and scenery.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread