MOW supplies
I think that a crane like the one in Ed's photo, or even one on rails, like the Walthers model, would be better than a jib crane - both for the longer boom and the ability for it to move about.
Not that long ago, most spikes (not just railroad ones) came in wooden kegs - I remember them and I'm not that....never mind. Misngth I'd guess that they'd be moved with a two-wheeled hand-truck, at least in the supply yard.

Nowadays rail spikes come in metal pails, I think maybe 5 gallons, although, according to this site in 50, 100 or 200lb. pails or in bulk, by the gondola-load. Eek

Another possibility would be to turn over some of that vacant real estate to the Telegraph Department, for use as a pole yard. A couple of piles of tapered dowels or even some Rix poles without the crossarms and a few stacks of crossarms (without insulators), and perhaps a shed or two for storage of tools and supplies and they'd be in business. A few reels of cable and/or wire would look good, too. It'd also give you the opportunity to occasionally run a retired wooden baggage car in work train service, lettered, of course, for the Telegraph Dept.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread