October issue of Model Railroad Hobbyist is out.
I think it is as good as anything available in print with the exception of the Santa Fe Modeler & historical Society's "Warbonnet" only because I'm a Santa Fe modeler and the Warbonnet is 100% Santa Fe. I'm also a car nut and have been subscribing to an E-mag titled "Winding Road" for at least 3 or 4 years. It was edited by David E Davis when I first heard about that mag and as he explained the editorial policy, the profit in print mags comes from the advertisers. The news stand and subscription revenues basically pay for printing and shipping. If the mag is offered on line, there is no printing or distribution cost beyond maintaining a web site. Joe is doing the same thing with Model Railroad Hobbyist. I find his approach much better than Model Railroader trying to coerce people into subscribing if they want to open articles on their web site. The other thing that is neat about the e-mag is that with their rich media, they can include video and "click & turn" in the mag. One other thing I like about Model Railroad Hobbyist is that the ads are all for model railroad related companies.

Messages In This Thread