another industry question
doctorwayne Wrote:
MasonJar Wrote:Chris has other posts in the Fall of 2006 about how he created this small pit. A gravel pit would appear similar in many respects, although you don't usually have to dig a hole to get gravel - it's more like removing a hill.

Andrew

There are lots of gravel quarries around here, and all of them involve digging (and blasting) large holes.

KevinKrey Wrote:That's really cool! I guess just that there isn't a gravel pit around here doesn't mean there can't be one on my layout.

If I get my car back in the next couple of days, I'll see if I can get some pictures to post here or in the Industries Along the Rails Forum.

Wayne

Wayne,

Thanks for providing pics. I guess I am thinking of places like Caledon/Orangeville area, where the gravel comes from glacial deposits left relatively close to the surface. I think that the Niagara Escarpment near you has less "overburden" and blasting and/or deeper holes are required?

Many of the pits near Ottawa too are relatively shallow "scoops" in the ground, and very little blasting is required to loosen the gravel.

Andrew

Messages In This Thread