Walthers Budd car issues
MasonJar Wrote:Try reading through this informative article by Russ:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=464">viewtopic.php?f=53&t=464</a><!-- l -->

Andrew

Well, i've pretty much checked all of the suggested issues just through habit. NMRA track gauge says its in gauge. I don't think weight is a problem, i loaded the thing down with spare change in my pocket, and still the same results.

I do not believe it is a radius problem, all curves are at least 30-36 inches, and all my other passenger equipment runs fine.

No underbody parts appear to limit the truck's ability to swivel except for these metal contacts on the bottom of the frame, but i don't really think they are the reason either. I tried pushing them down, and still had issues with the truck jumping.

Its entirely possible its a track issue, but my club will not rip up track if it is just my one or two cars. besides, its our show season, and everything else appears to be running normally. I suspect however that there are many bumps and dips that have formed over the years. At the same time however, this car didn't even start derailing at that spot until recently (though it did at one time almost always derail in another spot that magically went away about a month ago). same with the budd grill diner, which never derailed unless something in front of it pulled it off the rails first.

I would have thought that maybe my train was to long and that it was getting pulled off the rails, but there is a 1700 series baggage car ahead of the dorm car, which is essentially the same trucks and frame with a different body shell. I would have figured my baggage car would have pulled off first.

Its very frustrating, and while that help thread was enlightening, it hasn't shed light on my situation.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread