How to paint with the best results possible?
Wayne, you said so much helpful and useful stuff, i really appreciate it!! 2285_

Wayne R Wrote:I have used Polly Scale and Modelflex paints for just about all my painting on brass or plastic. My brass Canadian National N-5-d 2-8-0 is painted with Polly Scale. Steam Power black directly on the brass without primer. It stuck real well. For both plastic or brass I thin the Polly Scale with either distiled water or the new Model Master acrylic thinner ( #50496 ). Most of my recent bottles of Polly Scale I purchased suggest the thinner or distiled water. The Modelflex paints are for the most part ready to spray and do not require thinning but I do add some Modelflex 16-600 extender sometimes to slow the drying time.

Like Scalecoat II that Todd mentioned, ive never heard of Modelflex, so i will have to look into it as well :mrgreen:

Wayne R Wrote:One thing I have noticed is when over spraying Polly Scale with Testors dullcote or glosscote thinned with lacquer thinner it tends to soften the Polly Scale a bit but once the lacquer thinner flashes off the paint is fine. Modelflex does not seem as affected by the lacquer thinner. To remove Polly Scale from brass a dip in lacquer thinner takes it off quickly but DO NOT do the same with plastic as the lacquer thinner will melt the plastic. Modelflex on brass comes off with lacquer thinner as well but it takes a lot longer.

I have removed Modelflex from plastic using 99% Isopropyl alcohol and brake fluid. Be carefull with the brake fluid as it effects some plastics. Always test in a hidden spot first. I would imagine both should remove Polly Scale from plastic but I have not tried it yet.

Ive heard of using the brake fluid before, ive never tried it but its good to hear thats another option for removing paint Goldth

Wayne R Wrote:Water based paints tend to clog the airbrush tip more than solvent based paints due to their faster drying times. This is where a double action airbrush helps as when you release the trigger the tip closes which helps with tip clogging. I keep a small cup and a small sponge close by with a little lacquer thinner in it and wipe the airbrush tip once and awhile when spraying.

My airbrush will be a dual action airbrush, so thats a plus Goldth

Wayne R Wrote:Another trick for spraying masked edges is not to spray directly toward the masked edge as this can force paint under the tape edge. Keep you spray pattern so it is 90 degrees to the tape edge or away from the tape edge. Less chance of paint bleeding under the tape.

Thats a great tip, i usually dont spray up under the tape, but i usually apply to much paint lol. Patients and thin coats im sure will help tremendously to keep from bleeding under the tape

Wayne R Wrote:I have also found 25 to 30 PSI is best for spraying water based paints. When I spray Testors dullcote or glosscote thinned 50% with lacquer thinner I only use 15 PSI as I find any higher the lacquer is too dry when it hits the model.

Thanks for the pressure tips, ill put that in my notes Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World

Messages In This Thread