Super trees
doctorwayne Wrote:I'm not familiar with these "Super Trees" - what are they, a tree kit? The only trees that I've made, so far, are polyfibre over natural armatures. Generally, the thinner you're able to stretch the polyfibre, the better your tree will look. While I'm modelling in HO, I've found that using the fine ground foam tends to make most trees look too homogenous unless it's used in conjunction with medium foam. Even then, I use it mostly for shadow or sun highlights only, varying the colours, of course. Wink Use at least two colours (I use three or four) for all of your trees, and generally, apply the darker colour first, and the lightest last. The dark will create the illusion of shade on the lower branches and on those in the interior, while the lightest will give the impression of sunlight on the highest or protruding branches (a dusting of fine yellow works well). Vary the proportions to get the appearance of different species, in addition to making different shapes, of course.
Wayne
Cheers Looks like we use the same basic tree technique. I use the WS coarse turf, sifted through a small flour sifter. The larger "chunks" of the coarse turf that are left, go on the ground. I also use clear lacquer spray (Ace Hardware etc.), as an adhesive for the leaves on the polyfiber.
Supertrees make great looking trees, but......I have found that the weight of the leaf material can cause branch breakage when the scene is moved.(as in modular scenes) As long as the trees are smaller, this isn't as great a problem, so using them for "new growth trees", and smaller shrubs, is a good idea.
I have a small handbook, "A Guide To Field Identification TREES of North America".
C. Frank Brockman.
I don't know if it is still available, but it's from Golden Press, and shows the general shape of each species, along with leaf shape, and fruit, nut or seed, along with a map showing area distribution. I find the "shape" and area distribution very handy.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread