Kato Unitrack vs Bachmann EZ track (N scale)
[quote="Brakie
Joe,Both Master sets comes with 12 3/8" radius curves..These will not fit on a 2'x4' without overhang. :wall1:

Yup,I found out the hard way :oops: and had to order 9 3/4" radius since I wasn't to sure the 11" would fit.

Go with at least a 30" width..

Or order 9 3/4" curves"(equals 18" curves in HO) .. :shoot:[/quote]

Cheers

Yes indeed, Brakie! That's one reason I got the cheapo Bachmann set for "practice". It fits exactly on my table since it's 11.5 inch radius. Ordinarily, you would never have a train running right along the very edge of a table, but since I live alone there is no danger of anyone bumping into it.

After playing around with my set all last night, I'm coming to realize that N scale would not be a good choice for a switching setup for me. But . . . I really like N scale much better than HO for continuous running!! Thumbsup That's why I don't mind the old style rapido couplers. But I really am looking forward to getting a better quality set later one, especially a good (DCC ready) loco with lighting that will "crawl" at prototype speeds, etc.

All things considered though (for a cheapo starter set), my "Yard Boss" setup isn't too bad! The rolling stock is crisply painted and all lettering etc. is very sharp and clear. And even though the loco isn't really well detailed, it still is pretty good for a steam loco. *lol* I am also noticing that it seems to run better and better the longer I keep it going.

Could anyone offer me advice as to which would be the largest locos I could run with 11.5" radius? I was hoping to get a 2-8-2 Mikado or a 4-6-4 Hudson someday.

Thanks again guys! Cheers

All best, and having fun,
Joe
"I've got my facts pretty clear . . . all I want now is to know what they all mean."

Messages In This Thread