Puddlejumper's 2010 Bash Challenge
After looking at the Atlas handrails closely I determined that Doctor Wayne's method of drilling the stanchions and reusing them is more feasible than I thought. They have a wide cross section as compared to some other types of stanchions making it easier to drill them. I, however, chose to go a different route with the handrails for the RS11B. I used stanchions from a Smokey Valley kit intended for an FM Trainmaster. The stanchions have a wide "T" on the top giving me enough room to splice the stock Atlas rails and new wire rails inside the stanchion. The stanchions are different, but my reasoning is that this B unit was built inside the Potomac Shop from a wrecked unit and they would have used whatever stanchions they had on hand without regard to matching the ALCo stanchions. I also installed the brake wheel, replaced the fuel tank with one from Atlas, and numbered the numberboards.

[Image: DSC_0298-1.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0304-3.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0307-2.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0302-3.jpg]

Here is a pic of a 791-class SD24 in the official PII paint scheme with silver trucks. This is an Atlas/Roco SD24 shell on a new Atlas SD24 chassis that I bought used for $20.
[Image: DSC_0300-2.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0304-2.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0301.jpg]

I did learn a lesson from this build. Handrails take a long time to paint by hand with a brush. In the future, whenever possible, I will install the handrails before painting the body so as to avoid having to brush paint them after.

Also went and picked up my cabooses for my project. I will probably work on these this spring.
[Image: DSC_0316.jpg]

Thanks for watching! This was a load of fun!
-Dave

Messages In This Thread