The Quality of train shows today
The shows in Toledo have declined greatly in the past ten years. When I was a kid, back in the early 90s, I remember they used to fill both halls in the county convention center; now it's only about three-fourths of one hall. I couldn't find any N scale that wasn't junk Bachmann, Model Power, or Life-Like train set leftovers or the previous month's new releases at list price. There was also only one dealer with any kind of quality railroad books. Factor in three bucks to park and five bucks to get in the door and I quickly decided it was my last train show there.

For my money the best train show is at Summerail in Cincinnati. It is predominantly railroad paper with tons of timetables, books, and photographs. There is a good mix of local vendors and guys to travel nationally. You'll get everything from individuals selling their personal collection, and splitting the table with a friend, to vendors with ten tables or more. It is now the only train show I attend locally, and that stretches the definition of "local" considerably.

Messages In This Thread