Shelf Layout Shelving/Supports
ocalicreek Wrote:In my recent experience (like last month Tongue ) I was about to forego the shelf brackets altogether because of the cost. However, I went back to the idea and eventually purchased some because of two reasons. One, I had some 18.5" brackets and 9" brackets left over from the last shelving project (layout and magazine support). Two, I found I could use half as many if I spaced them mostly on every other stud instead of every 16". At that point the cost was more managable.

You may be able to save $ on the vertical standards as well if you don't plan on having shelves above or below the layout. I used 24" standards because I won't be needing an upper shelf. I'd have had to find 36" or 30" standards in order to leave enough spacing between framing and the upper valance for sky & backdrop. Personally I don't like upper valances, as my eyes are drawn up into that space, defeating the purpose of trying to put the focus on the trains. It's a distraction, IMO.

These brackets are designed to handle alot of weight. If you get the standard lined up with the stud and use a long enough screw (I used #10, 2-1/2" screws after drilling a pilot hole), and you frame the layout well, you should have no problem with wider spacing. My layout framing will be constructed in order to line up with the brackets and put a brace in between brackets...a picture will explain better, I'm sure, when I get that far.

I haven't looked closely at your #s yet, but I'd say consider using 18.5" brackets instead of 24". I only used 2, 24" brackets where the track 'bridge' across the room will connect at either side, in order to proved additional support.

Thanks for the reply Galen Misngth

My room is faily small, so spacing on every stud shouldnt be a problem, especially since I will be buying from the Amazon seller mentioned in my last post Misngth

Also, you may not know, but the layout will be 30" minimum and 40" maximum (at loops), so 24" brackets I think ill be a must. Im also going to be making wooden slips to go over each bracket to give more of a mounting area for the benchwork. I will make the slips to be 30" so that they will extend 6" off the ends of each bracket to support the edge of the layout, i think that would be the best thing to do.

Im not sure what I will be doing with the front and back edge of the layout, but I think getting some STRAIGHT 2x2's or 1x3's and mounting them to the entire front and back edge of the layout would help strengthen the layout further. When I say getting some straight lumber, I mean cutting my own using 2x4's and ripping them down on a table saw. Its alot easier to find nice straight 2x4's then it is to find straight 2x2's and 1x3's lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World

Messages In This Thread