NCE dcc systems
Ooooo I do! I do!

I shopped around such as you are doing right now. I was actually leaning towards a MRC Prodigy Express system until I ran across the NCE Power Cab for a steal on e-bay for just over a $100 buck US. I liked the Power Cab because it came with everything you needed to get started, including a power supply, which as I found out back then not all systems came with and would require an additional purchase on top of the cost of the DCC system.

Wiring it up was idiot proof. Two wires to the track buss and you are done. This is assuming that you have an existing layout with good wiring in the first place. Misngth

I didn't like the lack of an on off switch to begin with, but this is easily achieved by plugging the power supply into a power bar that you can switch on and off.

I was a total newb when I bought this system too, and was quite grateful that it was easy to program locos and get things up and running relatively easy ad within a few minutes. I am still learning how to program CV's and how to get around the nuances of the system, which is a bit of a learning curve, however I would guess that is the same for anyone first learning about DCC systems. I like the hand held throttle, the display is easy to read and since I am starting to get into sound, I can take advantage of the short cut keys for the bell, horn, and lights. Misngth

I recently "expanded" the capacity of my layout and upgraded my Power Cab to a "Pro Cab" by purchasing the 5 amp Power House Command Station (which you can by separately as the box only, instead of purchasing the complete 5 amp Power House System.). You will need to purchase a power supply once you decide to go this route, though and in the end going this route will cost you a bit more coin, however, it shows the versatility of the Power Cab should you choose to expand in the future.

As a side bonus, the local club in my area also uses NCE, however I really don't think that should be a limiting factor on what system you should buy for your own personal layout.

Good luck which ever system you purchase, I am sure they all have their individual merits which appeal to the end user.

Messages In This Thread