How to Electrify a railroad
Alright, I think i finally found a way to ask the question i've been trying to solve-

This is my current understanding of the catenary at a crossover. the Red and dark Blue wires are the "main" wires, while the Orange and Light Blue wires are the "crossover" wires, respectively. Each of these wires is connected electrically to their corresponding main wire and lowered to the same height at those locations (Red to orange, dark blue to light blue), but the red/orange and Blues are isolated electrically from each other.

Box Catenary, shown as green lines appear to hold the mainline wire to the corresponding crossover wire that it is electrically connected too, holding the crossover wire steady and at the same height as the mainline wire.

Somewhere between the box catenary of each crossover wires, they overlap at the same level (represented by the purple line), allowing the pantograph the smoothly transition between the two different wires.

Outside of this purple region, only the sections with the box catenary are lowered. Opposite the purple section from the box catenary (green lines), the wire rises and has an insulator set (brown dots). For example, the Light blue wire doesn't touch the red wire ever, it rises above the orange (and red) wires as soon as it passes the purple zone.

the confusion for me is what happens as the light blue and orange wires ENTER the catenary (indicated by the question marks). I know that at some point, all these wires are anchored either to the pole, or in some cases, the crossbeam. However, wouldn't there be an additional set of insulators near the poles on the ends between the box catenary and the pole on top of the other insulators past the purple zone? how does the orange wire connect with the red wire (and light blue to dark blue, respectively)?

How would this all be prototypically anchored. that is the only thing i don't understand so far.

[Image: catenarycrossoverquesti.png]
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread