The more things change...
Quote:Most Americans worked 12-14 hours days back then, one of the main reasons was immigration, and well people didn't complain like they do these days.
It wasn't til the late 30's when the fair labor standards labor act was put in for the 40hr work week.

Yes, one of the 'benefits' of the CCC was the 6-8 hour work day, three squares a day, regular pay, consistent structure and so much more. Many of these men had been hobos and dust bowl farmers who were glad to not have to panhandle and beg anymore. Hoboing was dangerous and far from glamourous.

People complained about alot back then, but honest work for honest pay wasn't one of the things they complained about. That was a good thing to be proud of. Nobody liked working too hard for too little.

My grandfather, born in 1914, went to work right out of high school for a section gang on the N&W. He worked hard and moved up eventually to a car inspector before he retired, 40 years later. After retiring from the railroad he went to work for a few different little steam powered theme park railroads (Gold Rush/Silver Dollar City, and Tweetsie RR in Boone, NC) for another 10 years. He's 96 and still sharp, although he has to use a walker to get around.

Railroad workers did have longer days, but even though he worked third shift my grandfather was glad to have regular hours - not like folks on the call board. Eventually he was able to work days and that was much better. He enjoyed the respect and admiration of his coworkers. The railroad job was critical during the war so he served his country by doing what he did for the railroad.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread