Fluesheet's Shelf Layout
I'm using the layout to test different construction techniques and products, one of those being turnouts.

One is the Fast Tracks turnouts seen in my previous post.

The second is a hybrid Central Valley and Fast Tracks method. This gives more detail than the standard Fast Tracks result (tie plate detail and the like), but has the very smooth running of the solid point rails that Fast Tracks uses. I credit Joe Fugate and his Siskouyou line forum for the idea. I used the Fast Tracks fixture to form parts, but what's nice about the Central Valley ties is that they can be used as a fixture of sorts themselves - the tie plates locate the rail.

Fast Tracks fixture used as a template for the turnout parts.
[Image: p1009330768-3.jpg]

Stock rails temporarily in place on Central Valley Ties while locating the turnout. Once located, the ties were temporarily spiked so they would keep their alignment while several are removed. The ties marked with an "x" will be replaced with PC board
[Image: p918185882-3.jpg]

[Image: p1034930832-3.jpg]

[Image: p1013909768-3.jpg]

This is a pretty straight forward method, with the most tedious part being removal of some of the closure rail tie detail to allow the solid points to swing freely - Central Valley's tie blocks are intended to be used with hinged points.

The third turnout type I'm experimenting with is also a Fast Tracks product - the Twist Ties. After building the hybrids, I lost interest in the Twist Ties and built this turnout simply because I had it - and I'm glad I did. These are very cool, and much more fun to build than I expected. It's like handlaying, but cheating! It's actually the smoothest over the frog of any turnout I've constructed - I attribute this to gaining experience, but also to the ability to move rails around until you get the perfect frog. It's more forgiving in that manner than soldering. I like the look - I'm old enough that I grew up looking at MR mag when handlaying was the "gold standard". I guess that aesthetic has stuck with me! Full disclosure - I used the Fast Tracks tools to form the frog points and point rails (same as the hybrid above).

[Image: p796171852-3.jpg]

Build Gallery:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://goodman312.zenfolio.com/p802892396">http://goodman312.zenfolio.com/p802892396</a><!-- m -->

More Later!

Matt
Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Messages In This Thread