RobL's Layout
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:WOW!
Thats looking great!
Here's a suggestion for using the "Cardboard strips" method, when doing large areas.
I usually stick some of that pink foam insulation in between the joists of the wood. Kinda like an intercostal on aircraft. I'll also double the palster cloth covering, rotating the direction of the second layer 90 degrees from the first. All before splating on the thin layrer of Sculpta Mold. Just enough to cover the weave of the palster cloth.
Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried to weave strips and cover it with plaster and sculptamold and the weight was just too much... I *think* it would have held up, but I wasn't going to risk it... the area shown in these later photos with the cardboard is actually quite strong, albeit they are very small areas. For the larger area, I went out to the garage and grabbed some scrap plywood and mounted it on some risers to meet the profile I desired... I have read and seen the pink foam used a lot, but I will admit, I am a little "afraid" of it... my understanding is that the stuff is highly flammable (and hence fire code does not allow for the use of it on uncovered walls), although I suppose that all of the ground foam and other scenic items are probably just as, if not more flammable... once I run out of scrap plywood, I will need to make a decision on what to use next!

Do you find using the plaster cloth technique you described you use less sculptamold? One thing that annoys me about the sculptamold is how long it takes to totally dry... that 30 minute stuff on the bag is a blatent lie (or I am just using WAY too much Smile )...

--Rob.

Messages In This Thread