The caboose?
Is it me or is a train not a train without a caboose? I remember watching trains as a kid and I could not wait for the caboose to roll by.

When I started working for Conrail in 1988, we were still running a caboose on the Montreal Secondary. The reason for this was that it was all single track railroad with a bunch of "manual block" sidings for trains to pass. When a train had to take a siding to allow another to pass, the head end conductor would throw the switch to enter the siding, then get back on the engine. When the train was in the clear on the siding, the rear end trainman - riding the caboose for this purpose, would line the switch back for the main and get back on the caboose.

Today, the caboose is used for a shoving platform mostly. When a crew has a long shove as part of their work, they rely on a caboose as a safe and comfortable riding platform. It's safer, and easier than riding the end of a railcar too. I've even seen a caboose used to transport "deadhead" crews between terminals. Kind of like a bus.

Anyway...bring back the caboose - it "makes" the train complete - no matter what era you model. Thumbsup
Doing my best to stay on track and to live each day to it's fullest, trying not to upset people along the way. I have no enemies.....just friends who don't understand my point of view.

Steve

Let's go Devils!

Messages In This Thread