Scubadude's Summer 2010 Wood Cutter's Shack Challenge
At the risk of seeming like I'm "piling on" ...

The first thing I noticed when I looked at that roof (from both sides) was the "left-to-right" application of the small sheets of paper. It took me back to when I was in art school and had a part-time job in an office shared by three (very) small architects' practices. I learned quite a bit while working there after class, weekends and during the summer.

One of the little "details" I learned while working in that architects' office I actually learned because I had proudly brought into the office for review (and hoped-for praiseof my mdeling skills) was a small structure that I had covered with corrugated metal sheets. I had sstarted applying sheets at one corner and worked my way around the building, overlapping sheets as I went. It teuned out to be a rather humbling experience!

So after the laughter died, it was explained to me that, depending on the direction of the prevailing wind in the area, and therefore the direction from which the majority of storms would approach, the wall that faced the "weather" head-on would have the sheets applied starting at the corners and overlapping each sheet, working towards the center. Then, on the walls that would be parallel to the prevailing wind, the corrugated would be applied starting at the leeward corner and overlapping each successive sheet working towards the windward corner. This arrangement prevents the wind from driving the rain under the joints of the corrugated sheets and into the building .

Beyond that, I agree with doctorwayne about the application of tar paper. You might consider corrugated on the wood shed roof ... that might look pretty interesting!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread