La Mirada, CA Industrial Switching Layout Progress
faraway Wrote:A great plan and layout I would like to build and operate.
I would like to make a remark about the newly added rolling mill. It is not so much the very sparse tracks devoted to such an industry or the lack of storage tracks for empty and full coil cars. It is the psychological break of feeling between light and friendly ala Lance Mindenheim spirit all over the layout and than a harsh break into the almost depressing world of dark and more than serious iron business. That is much more than the color and impression of buildings. It is also ballast, ground cover and everything else. It is the emotional bridge to be spanned between southern California and Gary Indiana. To be frankly I am not convinced that is a change to the better.
However, I feel with you. I have a bunch of coil cars and other IHB cars unused on storage. Some time they will find a home on a very different layout than the current one.

Thanks Reinhard! Misngth

The addition of the rolling mill was only because I have the extra coil and gondola cars and I had a little extra room with making the modules smaller to fit one in there. Like I said, it has nothing to do with La Mirada, but it will give me a chance to spot 2 more different types of rolling stock since most of the rolling stock on this layout is Boxcars, Covered Hoppers, shorty 2-Bay Covered Hoppers, and Tank Cars. I think the rolling mill will be a nice addition to the layout, and ill weather it and make it look right at home. I did also get a small storage track for additional cars above the rolling mill which would hold 4-5 cars...
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World

Messages In This Thread