How to Electrify a railroad
I ran into an interesting issue today, and i think i have a solution.

the basic problem is that a curved turnout sits nearly below a catenary bridge, and the turnout itself is on a curve. the diverging route requires its catenary wire to descend in from a catenary pole, but this is the only spot on the layout where a convenient catenary pole does not exist. If i were to about straight out, it would pull off somewhere between the two catenary bridge locations.

the inner mainline segment is repersented by a white piece of yarn, and the diverging line in question is the red yarn. you can see that they cross to close to the one nearby pole, and again, if pulled off simply, would end up between poles.

[Image: 7222010catenarycurveiss.jpg]

A pull off pole does not seem realistic, but, what if i added a pull off as part of the near by catenary bridge? This would pull the the red wire out far enough out that it could approach the switch from the correct angle while anchoring to the same catenary pole as the white wire (which would be perfectly fine).

the pull off would be about where the red arrow is.

[Image: 7222010catenarycurveissx.jpg]

the only other issue is that with a turnout on a curve, would the "box" catenary match the inclination of the curve, or would it stay strainght up and down for the time being?

on a side not, i added the insultors to the signal arms, but they can't really be seen in the photos. i'll take pictures later.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread