M-J RailConnect Layout Progress Thread
Hey guys. This is the progress thread for my future layout, M-J Rail Connect.

I still have to get the first bunch of N scale track.

I am probably going to use Kato Unitrack.

II'll get all the stuff that I'll need to build the layout together now, that way when the time comes, I can just build the whole layout, put everything together permanently, and use it.

Tonight, Whilst down at the local train club, I was in the Large Scale layout room running trains and remembered that there is a nice little switching layout that they have added on to the main O scale layout. It also sits right over top of the G scale layout that we have on a lower level.

It would make an excellent industrial park that I can use. I am going to follow Tony Koester's advice in his book he wrote on Operations and build "Layout Design Elements" or LDEs. Eventually, when I have the room, I can put them all together into a big permanent layout.

I don't know where I will add this industrial park section at, what industries will go there, or what town it might be in, but it would make an excellent start on a layout. I can operate it as a switching layout with "cassettes" to use as an interchange to bring in new cars, and take out the old ones.

Eventually, it would link together with the permanent layout there, but it'll make a nice first start.

I'm also considering the possibility of using something more like Atlas sectional track without the attached ballast, so that I can use Linn Westcott's ballasting technique of gluing the track to the base with the ballast, and then being able to scrape it up, ballast and all, if you need to rework a track layout.

I will go with the one of the better quality between the two. I can't wait to see this whole thing come together.

Attached is the roughed out track plan based off of the one down at the train club in the Large Scale room.

I may also use the leftover section of wood from my layout at Dad's after I rebuild it. I plan to chop most of it off, so I can use what's leftover afterwords. That's why I considered the Atlas track, because then I can just scrape it up off and put it onto a HCD when I get everything together to make the layout.

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread