How to Electrify a railroad
Gary S Wrote:Love the work in this photo. Great solder work, and the insulators are perfect. When I view this thread, I just shake my head at the amount of effort you're putting into the overhead supports. Terrific! One of these days I need to experiment with brass and solder - maybe I will make the handrails for my bridge that way.

Great work, GEC!

yeah, the overhead supports i'm detailing to the max now while they are being built, because later on it won't be easy. I figure its probably also a good idea to put the detail in, since these are going to be right there on the outside and visible, not to mention they are about the only thing on a catenary system people can "see" (i find that wires jumble people's eyes).

as for making bridge handrails, that would actually be a VERY good way to learn. I know up here, the PRR has these tubular handrails, and all they would be are brass strips bent like an upside down U to make the fenceposts, with wire in between the U at the top and mid levels.

all you'd have to do is make a jig to pump out the fence posts, and then tin the inner surfaces where the hand rails will go, lay the wire, add heat, and boom. done.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread