La Mirada, CA Industrial Switching Layout Progress
wow, i must be oblivious, i didn't realize you had a layout going (actually, i hadn't seen many posts by you lately, and i thought that was strange)

Cool stuff! I'm wishing i had a larger yard myself!

In any event, i notice you mentioning about making molds. I've made a few molds myself, but with resin.

that said, while hyrdocal is good for some buildings, resin is a little sturdier and lighter, and you might find it useful to make some structures (especially if you have a "piece" of something you want to duplicate and glue together/modify).

For example, suppose i wanted more wall sections from a kit like "magic pan bakeries", rather than buying a second kit (as i've frequently seen you do in kitbashes), you could simply make a mold box, lay your pieces in the box, and then cover them with RTV silicone. when that cures, just pull out your originals, and mix some resin and pour the cast. it takes no time, and the pieces will be hard enough to remove from the mold after an hour or so (though they will still need to cure for the night), and then the mold will be ready for the next batch. for the same cost of an additional "Magic Pan" kit, you could have ten times that many component pieces using Resin plastic instead.

This would definitely allow you to kitbash all those big buildings much more cheaply and efficiently. You could make as many pieces as you want, and they'd all fit together!

there are many possibilites, and it may be worth it to pick up a starter set either from Micro Mark or Alumillite.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread