La Mirada, CA Industrial Switching Layout Progress
ocalicreek Wrote:I'd play devil's advocate here and say "Ahem, don't you know that's illegal :evil: " and pitch a holier-than-thou fit, except I've done the same thing with the occasional part I want duplicated. AND, even though Model Railroader officially frowns upon such activity, they are just as guilty, as recently shown in an article by Andy Sperandeo, one of the old heads who should know better. :oops:

Whether or not you can morally justify copying someone else's hard work is up to you. There are many good reasons why making a casting is the way to go. Just don't go overboard and don't resell the castings you make as your own work.

But really it is a great way to make duplicates just as GEC described. I've used the Micro Mark casting kit and it's a good value for the money. Once you've made the mold you can cast using just about any material. I've had good luck with Durham's water putty for walls.

Any more layout construction to report?

Galen

True enough, i was more trying to sell the Resin/silicone method, but you're right. I think the worst i've done as far as casting goes is i traded two casts i made of a locomotive shell as part of an agreement for another set of models, but i suppose its not so bad (I justify it by the fact that the maker of the shell has discontinued it and probably will not resell that model for sometime).

I do hope to eventually make molds of kitbashes i make, but i'm curious, if i were to cut up a RailPower Products SD45 and some other engines and make a totally different engine (using the pieces), does it still count as copying the original manufacturer's work (as i didn't individually build the thing from scratch)?
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread