Block Detectors 101
OBJack Wrote:And to try to get a handle on what the description...."The logic output of the detector is open collector means, which I assume is the basis of all understanding.

While I've never heard the term " Open Collector ", used in logic circuits......digital, as I learned it, assigns "high" (open circuit voltage) to "1", and "low" ( short to ground ) to "0".
If the collector of a transistor is "open" it's " output " is the applied operating voltage ( typically 5 Volts DC ), and is a "1" or high.

The other thing I learned about logic circuits is that a "1" or "high", is a "true statement".
So......
If the output of the detector is "Open Collector / high /"1"/"true", then there is something in the block.
If the output of the detector is "closed ? collector" / low / "0" /false, then the block is empty.

Only something in the block that draws current. ( loco, lighted car, or cars with resistive axles "resistor wheel sets" ) will cause the detector to output " Open Collector" / etc.. Rolling stock that does not have some form of current drawing capability, is, "invisible" to the detector.
Hope that helps.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread