How to paint with the best results possible?
Russ Bellinis Wrote:Stein, when you paint that 44 toner, you will probably want to use Model Flex because of the flexible plastic handrails. Any other paint will probably flake off the handrails if they bend or flex. Another thing that you can use to mask the windows is the same latex modelers use to make rock molds. It will cover and seal the windows, and then peel off easily after you finish. There used to be a product on the market called "Magic Masker" that was in a jar that you painted on. It went on kind of reddish and then dried to a tan color. It was simply latex, but I haven't seen it in a while, so the company that made it may either no longer be in business or simply dropped the product.

I tried to mask with wood glue, and it seems like it worked okay for protecting the windows while priming the engines - during the xmas vacation I got two engines masked and primed (with white Tamiya fine primer, since I plan to use CNW yellow as the first coat of paint, with black over that on the cab sides and roof).

My first attempt at airbrushing yellow with artists acrylics thinned with water gave a too "beady" look - I suspect both my paint mix and my technique for applying it was way off. I got impatient, and moved in too close, with what I suspect was too thin paint.

The paint only stayed on as long as it took me to carry the shells to the closest sink to rinse it right off again - I are back to just primed engines.

I'm heading over to a local hobby shop with a better selection of paints tomorrow - will see what they have. I know they have a brand of pre-thinned airbrush paint called Vallejo ModelAir, that quite a few people over here (and Pelle Søborg down in Denmark) swears by.

I'll check if they also have (or can get) Model Flex, and if they have stuff for masking windows.

I'll also try to set up a painting station in the storage shed outside our house, with a source of good light and a heater/fan to warm it up and blow most of the fumes away. It gets a little too dark and cold to do much slow and patient work outside on our porch this time of year Goldth

Thanks for the tip about the modelflex and the masking stuff !

Smile,
Stein

Messages In This Thread