New York City
Tom's advice is solid. I wouldn't want to have a break-down in any of the five bboroughs in a motor home! I've seen a car with a flat be stripped in the time it took for its owner to walk two blocks to get a tow truck from the neighborhood gas station!

Definately go up inside the Statue of Liberty! It is worth the trip! The view from the windows up in the her crown is awesome! The history of it goes without saying!

Most of the railroads that I'm aware of (mostly passenger) are under ground. I know they must surface somewhere, but you'll have to get that from someone else.

Get a good city map and a subway map ... study them prior to going, make small "Cheat Sheets" of where you want to go but DO NOT open a map and look at it while touring about the city. Keep your eyes open at all times. Keep your wallet in your front pocket.

Take the Staten Island Ferry over and back or the one that tours around Manhattan for a liesurely ride if you like boats/ships.

I'll leave the rest to someone from the area.

When we lived in the Philadelphia area, we had visitors from Wisconsin every Summer. They all wanted to see New York. We included the boat ride to see Lady Liberty on each trip. We also used to insist on spending one day in Olde Philadelphia; Independence Hall, The Liberty Bell, Elphreth's Alley, Betsy Ross's House ... all steeped in history ... good stuff.

Well, that's the best I can do about New York. I haven't been there since about 1991. The drive from soutwest Florida is just too much for me these days. Someone who knows New York better than I will have to do the rest.

Have a good time, but be forewarned ... no matter what you thought was a big city where you are from ... New York is a BIG city!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread