New York City
RobertInOntario Wrote: ... All of the above is convincing me to avoid NYC! ... I have a love/hate relationship with the 'big city' ... I usually try to avoid big cities on holidays ... Just some rambling thoughts! Rob
I can't speak for the others, but as far as I am concerned, it doen't really matter which BIG city it is, you must keep your eyes open and maintain an awareness of your surroundings. New York is the same as most other BIG city's ... only more so!

We used to take our visitors from Fond du Lac, WI up to New York every summer, sometimes twice a summer, and we never had any trouble. No one ever accosted us. I had given my vehicle a thorough check-up prior to our visitors' arrival, so a break-down was unlikely and when in traffic, I drove like a New York cab driver (aggressively defensive) and we never had any problems. (My former wife couldn't watch when I was driving in traffic ... she had to cover her eyes! Big Grin 357 )

I think all we were really saying, Robert, is take all the normal precautions, and you and your bride will have a good time.

Other interesting places to see ... Radio City Music Hall, Times Square and the Museum of Modern Art. And if I remember correctly, there is a place on Times Square where you can get "cancellation tickets," (last minute cancellations,) for Broadway Shows at a reduced rate. [You haven't seen a live show in a threater until you've seen one on Broadway ... believe me! It is an experience you won't soon forget!] My prevously-mentioned former wife used to say, on a Friday or Saturday night, "Let's go to a show," meaning a movie. [I think that was an Upper-Midwest thing.] To me, a "show" was "live, on-stage." I took her up to New York to see "Phantom of the Opera" at the Majestic Theatre on Broadway. She was BLOWN AWAY! She never called a movie a show again!

If you have an opportunity, go see a Broadway show!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread