Steamtrains' 2010 Summer structure challenge entry
Appreciate your comments... Thumbsup

The dies came in yesterday's mail...So I got my butt movin'...
I did a couple of trials using "standard" and heavy duty foil, and settled on the HD. The standard seemed just a bit flimsy. While testing the foils I quickly realized that making the "sheets" by hand was gonna be some kind'a chore. So I started dreaming up a quick(er), more reliable way of making the sheeting. The ol' lightbulb lit up when I saw my vice - which I turned into a "press"...Here's a couple of views of my "hydraulic" press....

[Image: DSCF2625.jpg]
[Image: DSCF2629.jpg]

I just glued the dies to the jaws of the vice, making sure they were mated properly...and PRESTO..!! The first of 50+ sheets rolled off the line...

[Image: DSCF2630.jpg]

Then came the chore of cutting the blanks to be fed into the cruncher....I use a piece 0f 1/4" safety glass as a cutting "board" to make sure I get nice clean cuts - no raggedy edges here....

[Image: DSCF2632.jpg]

And after a couple of hours' work, I got 50+ corrugated metal pieces ready to be fitted to the roof..!! 2285_
[Image: DSCF2633.jpg]

That'll be the subject of the next installment. That "triangular" piece of balsa seen in a couple of the pics is my version of a "feasibility study", to see how they were to be glued and painted....Just used yellow carpenters glue, and acrylics for painting & weathering.... Goldth

BTW...When is the contest deadline..?? :oops:
Gus (LC&P).

Messages In This Thread