Poll: Should the bridge have spilled ballast like the prototype?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, spill the ballast onto the walkway as on the prototype bridge.
70.37%
19 70.37%
No, keep the ballast in between the ballast retainers and off the walkway.
29.63%
8 29.63%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

POLL - Spilled ballast or not?
Ralph Wrote:I vote for not spilled. It simply looks better.

Wait... WHAT?!? Eek What railroad do you model again? Oh, that's right, Penn Central didn't have ballast, just mud and weeds. Icon_lol

MasonJar Wrote:Gary,

One factor that has not come into play yet is the year of your layout. Although the picture from "today" shows the ballast spilled onto the walkway, what would it have looked like in your era? Were they (management) pickier than today? Had more $$$ available? Used a different method? A MOW book from your era may shed some light...Andrew

Great point. The PRR had such a well maintained plant in the 1900's it looked like they had permanent landscapers on duty 24-7. I have seen photos of freight yards and other PRR facilities during that era that looked nicer than high dollar golf courses. Of course, by the 60's maintenance was being deferred and there was as much weeds between the rails as ballast. The B&O had great pride in their physical plant as well, but the B&O I worked for (CSX) wouldn't pick up that spilled ballast until a trainman tripped and fell off the bridge or some ballast fell off the bridge onto someone's car.
-Dave

Messages In This Thread