A one evening turntable bash
BR60103 Wrote:The old way to do this was with brass tube soldered to the outside of the rails, and a push fit brass rod inside. The rod would be slid through the fixed track and into the turntable track. Positive electrical and mechanical joint.

Cheers A sliding bolt latch/lock for a door could be cheap at the local hardware store and would provide this kind of electrical and mechanical joint, perhaps one on either side of the track, (one for each rail).

OR, I like biL's idea of the good old knife switch. A single knife switch on either side (with the knife portion on the layout and the receiving fittings on either side of the turntable) would work.

I'm contemplating these methods for my own staging area turntable...when I get to that phase of construction. Everything I've ever read about track wiring says DO NOT rely on rail joiners alone for good electrical contact. It could be a conspiracy of wire and solder manufacturers lobbying against track manufacturers....or it could be good advice.

That said, if it's working for you, enjoy it while it works.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread