The USRA
The one thing that I remember from history about the USRA in WW1 was that the railroads were insisting on sending loads both ways (East and West) during the war. The result was that empty rail cars backed up at the East Coast ports waiting to find loads going to the West Coast. At the same time there was a shortage of rolling stock on the West Coast to load materials for the War effort. Finally "Uncle Sam " stepped in forcing the railroads to move empties to the West Coast for loading. During WW2 because we were fighting a war in both Europe and the Pacific, the freight was more balanced.

I'm not sure if it was the other USRA or another dept of the government, but during WW2 the use of metals was restricted so the various railroads had to prove to the government that they needed the equipment that they wanted to be built. The government also told railroads whether they could buy steam engines or diesels during the war. The Santa Fe bought a lot of the then new Ft units because of their water problems in the desert. I think I read that during the steam era the Santa Fe delivered 100 tanks cars per day loaded with water for use in locomotives for the area between Cajon Summit and New Mexico!

Messages In This Thread