Plug-n-Play decoder, non-Plug-n-Play Loco?
Hmm, interesting. They ALSO have the 539 in the Micro-Tsunami 750, which is hard wired. If the loco draws less than 3/4 amp stalled, that might be an option as well. All on account of space. I know space is at a premium in my Proto S-1's, and the only real differences are on the outside - the turbo stack and wider radiator grills.
<soapbox>
Also, this illustrates why I think Soundtraxx made a mistake in not having the sounds programmable. Not necessarily user-defined - just programmable, like QSI does. The hardware is the same on all Tsunami boards, it's just the form factor that is different, and some have resistors added, etc. So the same 'code' woudl run on all of them. Instead they have dozens of SKUs, combinations of form factor and sound sets. QSI, the decoders are all the same. One SKU per form factor. You can load whichever sound set into any of them. Order from a reputable dealer like Tony's, Litchfield, or Ulrich and they'll preload whichever one you want so you do not need to buy the programmer. If you later swap it to a different loco, you can either get the programmer and DIY, or send it to the dealer, or take it to someone who ahs the programmer. No sound editing experience is needed when it's done this way - there's nothign for you to edit, the manufacturere has taken care of all that work. Non-programmable is restrictive, completely user progoammable is just beyond the typical hobbyist - plus how many have 'ins' plus the required equipment to climb on operating equipment to record the sounds?, the user programmable but with pre-made sound sets way seems to be the best compromise between flexibility and ease of use. There's no technical reason why the TSU-1000 isn't offered with the 539 sounds - in fact if someone asks I'm sure Sountraxx will make it. But there's the point - if you buy the decoder now and use a 'close' sound and later they come out with the correct sound - you have to buy a new decoder! I see people offering the new Atlas Gensets with sound, but they are using what sounds like a turbo 710 sound set - way wrong. Soundtraxx (I think) has said they will soon have a proper Genset sound - if I could reprogram it then I could start now with the incorrect sound just so it has sound, and fix it later very easily.

</soapbox>

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com

Messages In This Thread