Homasote implementation
My several aborted attempts to build a model railroad have all involved laminating Homosote to half-inch C-D plywood.

The homosote was glued to the plywood using, in the first couple of attempts, good old Elmer's white glue. The later attempts, two 2'-0" x 6'-0" sections of which have been traveling with me as I moved from one state to another for over twenty years, were glued up using Elmer's yellow "Carpenter's Glue." In both instances, the sandwich was compressed while the glue set by placing such heavy objects as bowling balls (in their bags,) a sewing machine and a three-drawer tool box full of tools as "clamps."

The only "coating" placed on the homosote was brushed-on full-strength Elmer's white glue that was used to set Campbell's Profile Ties in, and that was permitted to dry for at least 24 hours prior to spiking down rail. In a couple places, moisture-laden Sculpt-a-mold was used to create landscape forms and in one instance, it took just over a week for that to dry completely. No other effort was taken to seal the Homosote.

As the photos below will visually attest, everthing is still solid after all these years ...

[Image: BeginningsatLehightonLookingEast.jpg]

[Image: HandlayedtrackatLehighton.jpg]

So there you have it ... for what it's worth ... there's nothin' happenin' here (with apologies to the Buffalo Springfield, as well as to Simon & Garfunkle.)
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread